Sunday 18 January 2015

Evaluation 7: Looking back at my preliminary task, what do I feel I have learnt in the progression form it to the full product?

Here is my preliminary task, what I made at the start of the course and I am going to say how and what I improved on and compare it to my 'Emerge' magazine. 



Front cover:



There is a clear difference in picture quality from both front covers. My second front cover looks much more clear and easy to read the text. After making my school magazines I learnt the conventions of a magazine and this helped me improve it. On my preliminary task I made a magazine for school but looking back on it, I think I chose the wrong font as it hard to read and can loose the audience's attention. I prefer my colour scheme on my 'Emerge' magazine as it portrays a pop music magazine very well. Looking back on my prelim task front cover I am questioning why I chose green because the school colour' is red and red is so much brighter and fun. I do not like the layout of the first front cover as there are to many blank spaces and it makes it more obvious as the background colour is white, which isn't effective. I thought the title on my prelim task was clever because i used an '@' sign as it can be a title and a link to there social media pages. I think to improve the prelim task I would add even more photographs of the students at school to show other schools and people what there missing out on.

 I could have overlapped small photos on my 'Emerge' front cover to spread out the text. I added different coloured lines on my school front cover to fill in the spaces. I did the same on my final front cover but added love hearts as it went with the pop theme and made the page more interesting. I decided to use one main image on my 'Emerge' front cover as I didn't think a white background looked realistic. As I had a deadline for my preliminary task I didn't have enough time to add a bar code to the front cover to make it look more real. I made the first front cover on the iMac's at school and fond it hard to transfer my photos from my phone to the iMac. Therefore for my final magazine I made it all on a laptop and used drop box to save all my photos so I could work at home and school. i made the font bigger on my Music magazine because looking back on the other task I can't actually read any of text in the green squares. 
Contents Page:
 
I think there is an equal amount of improvements between my front covers and contents pages. I have used a similar layout on my final contents page but moved the title to the side to challenge the stereotypical conventions of a pop magazine. I added another title 'Inside this Month...' because it tells the audience that this is a monthly magazine. My second contents page shows off my editing skills because the preliminary task is very basic and childish. I added a similar star to my final contents page because they make the page look more interesting and makes certain parts of the text stand out. I think adding a frame around the picture makes it look more professional and a more realistic magazine. I think I wrote to many page descriptions compared to the amount of photos.
 
Therefore on my final contents page I added 4 photos with 4 page descriptions. Overall I think my final magazine is ten times better than my preliminary task because of the choice of colour, font, decorations and the editing software. I didn't have a lot of time to make my preliminary task therefore I rushed it when writing the page descriptions. My photos are much more lighter in the final design because I couldn't see the photos very well on the preliminary task. I have improved my final designs by changing the layout and font to see what looks the most effective and realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment