Thursday 15 January 2015

Double Page Spread Analysis

I started by making an A3 sized page in the colour pink to match my front cover and contents page. I made this on 'Pixlr' using the collage option and making both of the pages the same colour pink.
 I created my double page spread on 'Pic Monkey as I thought it was straight forward to use compared to other websites. Then I started on the left hand side where I was going to write most of the interview. I used the same font family from the the front cover and contents page as it makes it look like a more realistic magazine. The title of the interview was quite long as I was introducing Beth and this helps the reader understand what the interview is about. I used the font 'Lobster Two' for most of the title then for the name I used 'Budmo Jiggler' because the letters looked like spotlights and makes her name stand out for the reader. I used a dark purple for most of the title because I thought black was too harsh for the colour scheme. I used a bright pink for 'Beth Tierney' as it was eye catching. In the top left hand corner I added a selection of love hearts in different shades of pink and different sizes because on my front cover and contents page I added hearts and I want the magazine pages to look similar and realistic. Under the title I added different colour rectangles to make the background more interesting. But before I added all the other text I made the rectangles fade into each other so the text was readable the i liked this effect more.
Next I added the interview and I asked 8 questions about her experience performing at the BBC Music Awards. I used a font that looked like someones hand writing for the questions which was called 'Amatic small caps' and used the same colour font as the title. For the answer I changed the font and colour to show a clear different between the question and answer, therefore the reader can see it clearly. I used the 'Lobster Two' as it is a very girly font but used a hot pink colour so it stands out and doesn't merge into the background. I used a font size of 25 for my questions and size 20 for my answer but it isn't an obvious size difference. I used the same font and colour for all the questions and answers to make the interview flow. If I used different coloured font for each question and answer on this page it would look too busy. In the photo below you can see i added 3 more hearts on the other side of the left hand side because I thought that part looked a bit bare.
Next I went on to design the right hand side and started by adding a few faded rectangles to the background like the other side. I then went on to finish the interview and added one more column with two questions in it with the same font and colour as the other side. In between the questions I added a large quote from the interview because when researching pop magazine double page spreads this was very popular. I chose the quotation 'Still can't believe so many people liked my video!' as it makes the reader look at it and want to read the whole interview and understand why she said this. I used the same font as the other answers but changed the size to be bigger and used the same colour as 'Beth Tierney' on the title. The quotation marks are in red and larger than usual because this was used in popular pop magazines e.g. 'Top of the Pop's'. I added a pale pink rectangular shape behind the quote to make it stand out and easy to read. Next I used 4 photos of Beth with a Polaroid frame around it because its on trend right now. I made 3 of the photos go down the right hand side of the page and then the 4th photo under the text to fill the gap. On each of the photo frames i added the same small pink heart to make it look girly and fit my pop theme. In the bottom left corner I a small selection of hearts like the other side to decorate the page and make it more interesting. In the bottom right corner I overlapped two pink flower to look like a stamp/sticker and wrote on top of it 'More about Beth on the next page!' because from my research most magazines add this as it catches the readers attention. 

Overall I think the double page spread looks effective as it has the same colour scheme as the rest of the magazine which is important for the pop genre. Pop magazines have a lot of decorations e.g. stars, hearts, stickers and stamps to entice the reader so I added hearts to capture the look of a girly pop magazine.



No comments:

Post a Comment