Saturday 17 January 2015

Evaluation 4: How does my media product represent particular social groups?

What is a social group?
It is a group of people who share some social relation such as age, gender, class and interests.

My media product represents a certain audience, which is the teenage age group 13-20 years old. After researching about pop magazines I decided to concentrate on a certain gender which is female as I chose the colour scheme of pink and purple because it was the most popular choice from my questionnaire. I trusted my questionnaires choices as I surveyed the typical people who would read my magazine. I included interests that is more biased to girls such as Miley Cyrus, BBC Music Awards and the Victoria Secret Show. These are interests that would persuade my target audience to buy and read my magazine because young people like to know what is popular at the moment and pop magazines give that to the audience. I tried making my magazine suitable to my audience therefore I wrote my interview more casually to get to know my singer and this would only happen in a pop magazine. As my magazine is aimed towards teens I didn't make the any of the writing complicated to read so I wrote it just with basic words so they can understand.

 I don't think the older audience would enjoy reading my magazine as it could come across as childish and cheesy. On my front cover I used my sister who is 14 years old and she fits my target audience very well as she like pop music and keeping on trend. Beth looks young and can relate to the target audience because she has similar interests. She can be an inspiration for the audience for her fashion and makeup look. There isn't a particular ethnicity barrier but in my magazine all the photos are of white Caucasian people and I didn't think about this when making my magazine but if I was to improve my magazine I would try include different ethnicity to create a wider audience. By choosing a young model it can portray that my singer will be an upcoming star and have a future in the pop industry. I decided to make my magazine on the cheaper side at £2.99 so both classes ABC1 and CD2E meaning upper class to middle class and lower middle class to working class. This makes my magazine accessible to nearly everyone making it have a larger audience. I've tried to make my magazine an escape route from reality for teens. I also don't want to advertise the bad influence in pop music like celebrities lives and bad trends because I don't want my magazine to inspire people in a bad way I wanted to just include positive ideas.

'Top of the Pop's' magazine is a good influence to young teenagers because they don't show bad humors and gossip which is inappropriate. 'Billboard' magazine is for a slightly older audience and I prefer the simpler presentation and layout of the magazine. I used this as inspiration because I placed the writing in similar places.

 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment